What you need to know about tumescent liposuction treatment in Franklin TN
For more than 30 years, liposuction has been among the most popular aesthetic surgical techniques, and it has enabled millions of patients to achieve more sculpted curves. At CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center in Franklin, TN, we use the tumescent liposuction technique, which facilitates safer, more effective treatment.
What liposuction can (and can’t) treat
It is important to have realistic expectations. Liposuction is a wonderful procedure for reducing localized fat deposits virtually anywhere on the body. However, it is not a treatment for obesity or a substitute for healthy habits. The goal of this treatment is fat removal, rather than weight loss. While they might sound like the same thing, there are significant differences.
When you cut calories and carbs your body is forced to use stored fat as fuel. Fat cells remain intact, and their distribution remains the same, but individual cells become smaller. Your overall body size becomes smaller, but problematic pockets of fat usually remain in place.
Liposuction does not shrink fat cells. Instead, it literally suctions them out of the treatment area. Because adults rarely develop new fat cells, this alters the distribution of body fat. Although your fat rolls might seem large when you look in the mirror, they actually comprise a small percentage of your whole-body weight. Because liposuction selectively targets those problem areas, the total volume of fat removed is often just a few pounds.
The simplest way to understand the difference is that weight loss is about re-sizing your body, while liposuction is about re-shaping your body. It can be used to treat stubborn fat virtually anywhere. The most common treatment areas include under the chin, on the arms or shoulders, on the legs, around the abdomen, or on the back.
Preparing for treatment
During your consultation we will discuss any preparatory steps you may need to take. This may include:
- Smoking – Nicotine slows healing, increasing the risk of any surgery, no matter how minor. If you are a smoker, or if you use any other form of tobacco, you will need to stop in advance of the procedure.
- Medications – It is important to tell your doctor about any prescription or over the counter medicines that you use, due to potential drug interactions. We may advise you to pause or adjust certain non-essential medications, as well as avoiding NSAIDs right before treatment.
- Alcohol – We may ask that you refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages for a few days before your procedure. Alcohol use promotes dehydration and may increase the risk of bruising.
- Supplements – If you use any herbs or other dietary supplements, please discuss them with your doctor. Some types of supplements may increase bruising or slow healing, and should be avoided prior to surgery.
- Arranging care – Expect to need a little help immediately after treatment. You will need to arrange transportation home, and preferably also someone who can stay with you for the first night.
- Scheduling downtime – Although liposuction recovery is quick, most patients will need to take a few days off work. Those with labor intensive jobs may need up to a couple of weeks.
What to expect during treatment and recovery
The process begins with injecting a large quantity of highly diluted andesitic, along with a medication that causes capillaries to temporarily shrink. This injection serves several purposes. First, it completely numbs the area, allowing you to remain entirely comfortable during the procedure without the need for general anesthesia. Second, it makes the fat become firmer and restricts small blood vessels. This enables more precise, effective fat removal with less bleeding.
Once the area is prepared, your surgeon will remove excess fat using a very thin tube called a cannula. Only tiny incisions are required, so scarring is minimal and not noticeable once healing is complete. Although you should see some improvement immediately, there will be swelling in the treatment area that obscures results. Most of this dissipates within a few weeks, but it takes several months to see the full benefits of liposuction. Since fat cells are removed, the results are permanent, with no need for touchups or maintenance appointments.
Are you ready to begin your journey to a more shapely, beautiful body? If so, call us at [phone] and schedule a consultation to find out if you are a good candidate for liposuction.